What is a Bone Mineral Density (BMD) Test?
- Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) is the gold standard for accurately assessing bone mass and predicting fragility fracture risk
- This test can diagnose if you have osteoporosis or can predict the likelihood of developing it.
- It is safe, simple, & painless
- The patient lies on a table on their back - a small x-ray scanner called a densitometer takes pictures of the spine, hip and forearm areas- The patient breathes normally but should remain still
- The radiation from this test is minimal - one/twentieth of a chest x-ray. In simpler terms, it is less than a one-way flight from Toronto to Vancouver or less than a daily dose of natural background radiation
- Our centre has the cutting edge technology: The Lunar Prodigy Advance Machine by GE. The only direct digital bone density machine with the latest advancements in densitometry science that is both accurate and precise for spine, hip, forearm and total body (total fat, lean, and bone tissue) assessments.
The goal to preventing osteoporosis or a fracture is to be proactive. One can't feel or see if the bones are getting porous; the only way to know is by having this gold standard test - the bone density examination to assess your risk for osteoporosis!
How long does testing take?
Please allow 30 minutes for the procedure - radiologist interpretation report & images will be sent to your doctor in 1 weeks time
How do I make an appointment?
Please call our office at 416-405-8881 or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where are you located?
855 Broadview Ave, Suite 305, Toronto, ON M4K 3Z1
What are your business hours?
Monday –Thursday 9:30 am to 4:30 pm; Friday 9:30 am to 1 pm & specific Saturdays
Do I need a referral for a bone density scan?
Yes, your physician has to order the bone density test for it to be covered under OHIP. If you are out of country or unable to get a referral and have risk factors, please contact our facility for further instructions.